Friday, February 15, 2008

Serbia

Serbia’s Independence Day recognises the first Serbian uprising in 1804, and their subsequent period of statehood that followed, and it is also the date on which the first constitution in the Balkans was enacted in 1835.

Obviously state/nationhood has continued to be a concern in the region of the Balkans—the twentieth century saw both the “first” and “second” Yugoslavias, and after the breakup of the second Yugoslavia, Serbia and Montenegro formed the “third” Yugoslavia with the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia. Since then, Montenegro has become a separate nation, and now the country is the “Republic of Serbia.” In the mean time, the situation in Kosovo has continued to be a major focus of international attention.

This poem was written by Vasko Popa, and translated by Charles Simic, who left Belgrade for the United States several decades ago. Popa died in 1991.


IN THE VILLAGE OF MY ANCESTORS

Someone embraces me
Someone looks at me with the eyes of a wolf
Someone takes off his hat
So I can see him better

Everyone asks me
Do you know how I'm related to you

Unknown old men and women
Appropriate the names
Of young men and women from my memory

I ask one of them
Tell me for God's sake
Is George the Wolf still living

That's me he answers
With a voice from the next world

I touch his cheek with my hand
And beg him with my eyes
To tell me if I'm living too


- Vasko Popa
translated by Charles Simic

No comments: